NEW UPDATE: With recent announcements from CHSAA about Fall Sports, St. Clare of Assisi Catholic School has decided to participate in Fall Football.
For more information, please: Click Here
As our students grow into middle school, our athletics program provides them an avenue to engage in healthy competition while working as a team, getting to know their peers in a new setting, and learning new physical skills. St Clare offers the following sports for our 6th-8th grade students:
- Boys Football
- Girls Volleyball
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Boys and Girls Track
- Middle School Cheerleading
As a member of the Peaks League, our students compete against local middle schools in Eagle and Summit counties. Students from Vail Christian Academy and other local middle schools join St. Clare students to give all of our students a chance to get to engage in these sports while forming new friendships.
All students participating in sports need to turn in completed paperwork before the first day of practice.
In addition, our students are very involved in community athletic programs including Ski and Snowboard Club Vail, Beavo, Devo, Ice Hockey, Figure Skating, Nordic skiing, and local Mountain Recreation District programs such as swimming, lacrosse, and soccer. Please click here to learn more about what Mountain Rec and VRD offer.
Play like a champion today sports ministry
The Archdiocese of Denver Catholic Schools Athletic League has adopted the Play Like a Champion Today (PLACT) Sports as a Ministry program from the University of Notre Dame. The Sports as a Ministry initiative of the Play Like a Champion Educational Series is a research-based, child-centered curriculum designed to:
- Help us recognize the spiritual nature of sports;
- Train youth sport coaches to be effective ministers; and
- Promote the moral and character development of our youth.
Philosophy and Mission
The Catholic Schools Athletic League (CSAL) is designed to contribute to the mission of the Archdiocese of Denver Catholic Schools and to the health, well-being, citizenship, and character development of the youth of the League. The mission of the Catholic Schools Athletic League, in partnership with parents, coaches, and volunteers is to offer elementary school students the opportunity to grow in virtue, develop their full potential and become a more committed disciple of Jesus Christ. CSAL emphasizes the following values:
- Participation: Students at all levels of ability are encouraged to participate.
- Respect and Dignity: Participants are encouraged to compete while always showing respect and honoring the dignity of team mates, athletic opponents, coaches, parents, and spectators.
- Winning is always secondary to good sportsmanship, ethical behavior, mutual trust and showing compassion.
- Gratitude: Student athletes are invited to recognize and be grateful that, out of love, God created them as unique beings and that their varied gifts and talents should be used for the benefit of all and for the greater glory of God.
- Catholic Values: All participant—athletes, parents, coaches, volunteers, spectators—are called to uphold Catholic values and to demonstrate those values by word and deed. In addition, CSAL recognizes the importance of observing the Sabbath day by prohibiting all CSAL activities from taking place on Sunday including meetings, practices and games, so that families can remain committed to worship of the Lord and observe a day of rest.
- Safe Environment: CSAL seeks to ensure the protection of all children by requiring that individuals who work with and around children adhere to the policies and procedures as defined by the Child and Youth Protection Office of the Archdiocese of Denver.
These principles and values shall not be sacrificed in the desire to win. Basic to this is the duty of the host school at any athletic event to take every possible measure to assure courteous, friendly, and fair treatment to visiting players, school officials, coaches, spectators and game officials.
While St. Clare does not participate with Denver Catholic School athletics, we do adhere to the Mission and Philosophy of the Archdiocese.